The EU has therefore established a framework of social rules for goods and passenger road transport operators with three complementary goals:
- to ensure the adequate social protection of road transport workers;
- to guarantee fair competition between undertakings;
- to improve road safety by averting road fatigue.
This section provides an overview of the different rules developed at the EU level, including those which govern:
- driving time and rest periods;
- working time, enforcement;
- recording device tachograph.
Directive 2006/22/EC, commonly known by enforcers as the control directive sets the minimum implementation.